•  SAE Record De-clicker
•  RCA 74 Jr Velocity Mic
•  Scott 299A Tube Pre-amp

• Advertisers

WWII song-2 yrs looking-can't find title

Get help finding that elusive jazz and swing tune or band

WWII song-2 yrs looking-can't find title

Postby jazzjester » Mon May 10 2004 08:43 PM

My dad had a 78 record after WWII and the song sounded like a black guy (Dad thinks it was a white artist) and it is in a rap-like format. The lyrics are mostly spoken not sung.

It starts out w/a bugle or trumpet then the guy assuring his girlfriend that he was true to her during the war. Then the song goes into the story about him at war. My dad thought the title was GI Boogie, but that maybe incorrect since I have been searching for over 2 years.

Here's the lyrics the best that he can remember:
We gets off the boat and its sure some trip, A pack of submarines following round that ship. We gets off in Ethiopia and I looks around, Aint nothin' new to me, looks just like Harlem with an occasional tree. But the people round there they act so strange, they walk around with umblrellas and there aint no rain.

A cute little lassie with a lovely chassis.....etc.etc

It goes on to tell about them going to put an end to the Heel with the Heils (Hitler) and then onto India, etc. CAN ANYBODY HELP IDENTIFY THIS POST-WWII SONG?
Email: lthreeisme@yahoo.com

If you give me about a week I can tell you whether it is the song I am thinking of called the GI Blues. The song was recorded a couple of times in the post war years. The 1945 recording has Dizzy Gillespie playing trumpet which leads me to believe this is a possibility. The vocal was by an obscure blues man named Rubber Legs Williams. Clyde Hart was the pianist for the session. Hart was familiar with boogie woogie as well as blues being a Kansas City musician. He was the the pianist in the Andy Kirk Clouds Of Joy band before Mary Lou Williams took over the chair.

This is a very interesting question about a record I would love to have.

If it turns out to be the GI Blues (don't let the title fool ya there are a lot of uptempo blues) it is readily available on CD.

Stay tuned and thanks again for the food for thought!!!

Jeff Parker

Sorry it is not the GI Blues. We will keep searching.
Email: jazzjester@attbi.com

Well Lisa it's been several months and I'm still at a loss on this one. Your thread is being revived with new-found interest however after a friend e-mailed me this same question posted over at Reveille With Beverly's fine site. Do you have any further clues about the song. What year he remembers hearing it? Was it a small group say under 9 pieces or a big band. Have we determined if it was indeed a black artist rapping the words?

OK, You guys that replied are fantastic. I finally have a flicker of hope that this may be discovered for my dad who enjoyed it after WWII. He said it was on a 78.

I am back now and have more information. My mom and dad both loved the song and said it had a great beat. The song starts out with the man trying to convince his girl that he was true to her while away and they are talking. There is a trumpet played and then the song goes into what my folks say could be considered the first "rap" because the lyrics are being said or rhymed more than sung. They were under the impression that it was sung by a white guy sounding African American, but who knows? Here are the bulk of the lyrics (as best as they can remember):

We gets off the boat & its sure some trip,
A pack of submarines following 'round that ship.
We gets off inm Ethiopia and I looks around,
Ain't nothin' new to me, looks just like Harlem with an occasional tree.
But the people 'round there they act so strange,
They walk around w/ umbrellas and there ain't no rain.
A cute little lassie with a lovely chassis
Says (something like "yaga mooga higi") and Haile Selassie.
I says "look here baby (lady?) with your lovely chassis,
This boy don't "Heil" no silly assie.

I've been traveling this ocean for 3000 miles,
to help put an end to the heel with the "heils".
I told Uncle Sammy and I pledged my soul,
To get the heel with the heil and put him in a hole.
I said "OK, Gen, I'm on my way"
and we left for India the very next day.

The very next day we;re in Bombay
And a frail with a veil kept-a-lookin' my way.

She said (unintelligible words/sounds)
Go out and get me some mon-yay
~~~~~can't remember this line~~~~~~~
Up jumped a rope that was hanging in the ground
And a fellow with a diper on in back of me
Climbed up that rope like it was a tree.

SOmething else about "flannel the channel" but that's the most of the song. The order may be a little off, but basically that's it.

I have been trying every conceivable avenue including WWII sources, music experts and this group is by far the most enthused and seemingly capable to end this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG search.

My sincere appreciation to everyone and their efforts and I want to offer a meager "reward" for "naming that tune" and better yet helping me find it! I would love to send to you or the receipient of your choice a tropical floral arrangement or some unusual tropical or exotic plants, if interested.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if these lyrics trigger ANYTHING from ANYONE! Good luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed

I'm sure it's not the same record but it is reminiscent of the Perry Como HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA record from the mid 40s after the war. May be the only thing he ever did that swings.

Vet

Vet, I looked up the lyrics and that song seems exactly as my impression of the song. It's one I never saw reference to during this long search! Thanks!

Lisa

Doubt seriously if that is what you are looking for. The song lyrics you have posted here are way better! Hubba Hubba Hubba has a background vocal chorus as accompaniment. Rather dry and cheesey I would say comparitively

Vet
jazzjester
Site Admin

Return to Who Was It That Sang That Song?