•  SAE Record De-clicker
•  RCA 74 Jr Velocity Mic
•  Scott 299A Tube Pre-amp

• Advertisers

"The Incomplete Sonny Berman" on Night Lights

Jazz radio shows from all over the globe that swing

"The Incomplete Sonny Berman" on Night Lights

Postby ghost of miles » Mon October 08 2007 08:31 PM

Any other Sonny Berman fans out there? The brashly lyrical trumpeter from Woody's First Herd who died at the age of 21 in 1947? He was the standout soloist on tracks such as "Your Father's Mustache," "Sidewalks of Cuba," and "Don't Worry 'Bout That Mule." Recently I devoted a program to him, featuring small-group sides with the Woodchoppers, Ralph Burns, and others as well as records made with the Herman big band: The Incomplete Sonny Berman
ghost of miles

Re: "The Incomplete Sonny Berman" on Night Lights

Postby jazzjester » Thu October 25 2007 10:49 PM

ghost of miles wrote:Any other Sonny Berman fans out there? The brashly lyrical trumpeter from Woody's First Herd who died at the age of 21 in 1947? He was the standout soloist on tracks such as "Your Father's Mustache," "Sidewalks of Cuba," and "Don't Worry 'Bout That Mule." Recently I devoted a program to him, featuring small-group sides with the Woodchoppers, Ralph Burns, and others as well as records made with the Herman big band: The Incomplete Sonny Berman

Very cool. Loved that Georgie Auld band too!
jazzjester
Site Admin

Postby ghost of miles » Fri October 26 2007 10:24 AM

JJ, I'm a big fan of Georgie Auld (assume you know he plays the bandleader in Scorsese's NEW YORK, NEW YORK). I once did an entire big-band program about him...will post that audio file eventually as well. Glad you liked the Berman--that program was a labor of love. (And that Herman Columbia Mosaic is absolutely fantastic, btw--if you don't already have it, I'd say go for it, because there are a lot of alt. takes and sides that only came out on 78.)
ghost of miles

Postby jazzjester » Sun October 28 2007 09:57 PM

ghost of miles wrote:JJ, I'm a big fan of Georgie Auld (assume you know he plays the bandleader in Scorsese's NEW YORK, NEW YORK). I once did an entire big-band program about him...will post that audio file eventually as well. Glad you liked the Berman--that program was a labor of love. (And that Herman Columbia Mosaic is absolutely fantastic, btw--if you don't already have it, I'd say go for it, because there are a lot of alt. takes and sides that only came out on 78.)

It's all about labor of love.

Auld would be an easy one with all the great Goodman and Shaw sides not to mention the brief period he took over Shaw's band after Artie up and split to Mexico. But then here comes Auld again with Shaw in the band with strings and Hot Lips Page in the early 40s.

The 50s sides of Georgie are cool too, one of my favs being that recording of Rose Room when the septet breaks into In A Mellow Tone about half way through.

Keep swingin.

JP
jazzjester
Site Admin

Return to Jazz & Swing Internet, Sattelite, And Broadcast Band Radio